Friday, November 16, 2012

A Dinner Suggestion

No, I don't have a photo of this, but yes, I think you should absolutely make it for dinner sometime soon.

This is the world's most simple sandwich, and I can't believe I didn't discover it until just this year.  

To set the scene:  Mr. My Blog for Bonnie and I went on an early anniversary trip to Niagara Falls this spring.  We got to Niagara Falls all the time.  Like at least once a year, if not twice. We just love it there and can't get enough!  Our time there traditionally falls into two categories:  we spend a day at Niagara Falls, and then the next day we head to little villages in Canada further away from the Falls, like Niagara-on-the-Lake.

It was here (actually in the nearby village of Virgil) that we stopped at a random little bakery cafe that our friends recommended to us when they went on a weekend trip the area.  My husband ordered this sandwich, and it was heaven on earth.  This is what it is:

Brie and Ham.

That's basically it, y'all.  (yes, I just used that term and, yes, I'm a resident of Ohio.  But maybe I can get away with it because my dad hails from Texas and one of my besties lives down there? No?)

What makes this so exquisite is its simplicity.  Here's what you do: buy a small wheel of brie from the grocery store and cut it into thin slices. Get good quality ham from the deli.  And get long sandwich rolls, like the type for subs, hoagies or whatever you want to call them.  Put a slice of brie on each side of the long roll and the ham in the middle.

This is so, so good and it never ceases to amaze me.  I think what works is the combination of the saltiness of the ham with the creaminess of the brie.  And the brie with the soft white bread certainly adds to the Wowza Factor. (actual term).

I guess you coullllld add a healthy element and put arugula or some other type of greens on it.  But really, it's so perfect as it is.  You'll feel like you're eating in a tiny bistro bakery in Canada, but really you're in your own kitchen on a crazy weeknight with a thousand things to do after dinner and the holidays looming.

Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment