Friday, February 8, 2013

February Seven on February Eight





This is where I was last night!  "Les Miserables" came to Cleveland for 4 short days and Meredith and I were at the opening performance.  Let me just say, we jetted downtown precisely after I finished working 4, 10 hour days with 2 year olds.... I really needed the night out!  I knew there'd be a lot of laughter and tears, and that was true.  Though in Classic "Me" fashion, a lot of laughter was inadvertent and unintentional.  For instance, during "I Dreamed a Dream" which is of course one of the most emotional musical numbers of a very emotional production, I accidentally kicked my (thankfully closed and unopened) bottle of Diet Coke and it went rolling down several aisles of seats.  Sigh.  Luckily at intermission Meredith spotted it and requested an elderly gentleman in front of us to help us retrieve it.  All was well in the Diet Pop department after that.

The production was wonderful, and while the movie gave scope and exposition to the story, the musical production was concise in telling the story...as concise as you can get over a story that spans a couple of decades and encapsulates politics, religion and redemption.  I loved every minute of it! Especially during "One Day More" which is my favorite song in the whole production, and which closed out the first act on a very dramatic note.  I teared up.  But of course, when don't I tear up at Les Miserables?

A lovely and serendipitous event occurred on the way home.  Listening to the radio, "February Seven" by The Avett Brothers came on.  I love this song, and my heart did a little leap when I realized that the actual date was February 7th!  Listening to "February Seven" on February Seven was a nice little wrap-up to the evening.

Here's the first verse of "February Seven" which I think is so beautiful:

I went on the search for something true 
I was almost there when I found you 
Sooner than my fate was wrote 
A perfect blade, it slit my throat   
And beads of lust released in to the air
When I awoke you were standing there 
I was on the mend when I fell through 
The sky around was anything but blue
I found as I regained my feet   
A wound across my memory  
That no amount of stitches would repair
But I awoke and you were standing there
 
This song definitely has a bluegrass-y feel (actual description, of course) and, dare I say it, almost a country flair.  Typically I'm not into that type of music though my horizons have expanded pretty wildly since Mumford and Sons came along and "Nashville" started showing up on TV.  "Undermine," anyone?  It's definitely in heavy rotation on my iPod.  
 
To go along with this country-esque phase I'm going through, I recently ordered a necklace with lyrics by Johnny Cash.  Have you seen these necklaces floating around?   I came across them online recently and loved it.  I really like Johnny Cash and "Walk the Line" is one of my favorite of his songs.  I found this necklace on Etsy and ordered it, it arrived yesterday.  For a mere $16, I am amazed by the quality.  It's a good size and I ordered the black bead to go with it.  In her notes, the designer says that the pistol charm can be removed and I definitely plan on doing that.  After all, I can only take this "Country" image so far!  All joking aside, I'm uncomfortable wearing the pistol charm mostly because this is a necklace I'd like to wear to work.  I can just imagine all of my kids grabbing the necklace, pointing to the gun and asking "Miss Sondra, what's that??"  and me having to hastily pull it away and look awkward and transparent to toddlers.  Considering we have instant discussions about how "we don't pretend to have weapons at school" when the kids construct what are obviously revolvers and shotguns out of Legos and then proceed to point them and say "Boom Boom Boom" to their friends, me wearing a pistol charm around my neck is pretty much out of the question!
 
And so now my 4 day weekend starts.  Today I plan on meeting Mr. My Blog for Bonnie for lunch at the restaurant on site at his company.  Then I might take my self to see "Silver Linings Playbook" since I recently read the book.   We got a guacamole kit from a Farm program at Mr. My Blog for Bonnie's company this week, so I'll be whipping up some guacamole to go with our Chipotle tonight;  Don't be too jealous.  I also plan on making some Valentine's Day treats this weekend in preparation for the big event, which comes just TWO DAYS after Paczki Day on Tuesday!

Off to listen to some more of The Avett Brothers...


  

No comments:

Post a Comment