Friday, June 15, 2012

The Ability to Surprise Yourself

One of the greatest things, I think, about being an adult is discovering that you truly do have the ability to surprise yourself.  You grow, you evolve, you try new things.  For the most part, I was the same "type" of person for my first 20 or so years.  From 20 to 30, I changed a lot, as anyone would.  But I feel like I've grown in absolute leaps and bounds since turning 30.  Considering I'm only just now 31, that's a lot of change.  Here are a few of the evolutions I never thought would take place, especially when I was a teenager:

~I am now a bona fide Morning Person.  I used to hate, hate, hate Morning People when I was younger.  I couldn't understand waking up early when you had no place to be.  Back in college, I worked part-time at a shoe store.  The store opened at 10 am, and do you know I would actually have to set my alarm for 9 in order to get up and get there on time?  And I remember hearing the alarm, rolling over in disgust to turn it off, and being like, "Ugghhhhhhhhhh...it's 9 am."  Whaaaaaat??  Times have certainly changed.  What facilitated my change was of course my job.  Believe me, it wasn't my choice to start waking up super early everyday.  After college, I started working from 7 to 4.  It was horrible.  It took about 2 years for me to get acclimated to waking up so early, but now that I've done it (and now that I work 7 to 545) it is totally my routine.  It's part of who I am.  Even on the weekends, my eyes still pop open at 5:45 AM when I should be getting ready for work.  I still go back to sleep, but I'm invariably up by 6:15 or 6:30, which I considered hellaciously early back in the day.  The only time I would've been up voluntarily at 6:30 am when I was 21 would be if I had an early morning plane to catch or I was on my way to the hospital for an outpatient procedure.  I mean seriously.  Fast forward 10 years to age 31, and here's what I've done so far this very morning, on my day off:  Woke up at 6, ran a 5K (more on this crazy development in a second) did 2 loads of laundry, went out for coffee, vacuumed the whole house & started this blog post.  It's official:  I am a morning person!  Totally surprising that I became one.

~I can run.  This is a simple sentence, but I feel it bears repeating:  I can run.  As a kid, I was completely averse to running.  Presidential Fitness Test time in grade school?  I wanted to die.  I remember having to run laps around the gym and thinking "Wtf?" only in 8 year-old terms.  Not only was I never a runner, but I was never athletic.  This was the case all the way up until I was 30.  I exercised regularly by going on long walks and using the elliptical.  A couple months after I turned 30, my boss introduced us to the Couch to 5K program.  We did it together and ran a 5K after several months of training.  You're probably expecting me to say I fell in love with running then and there.  I didn't.  In fact, I hated it even more.  My husband and I completed the program and the 5K, and I was pretty sure I crossed "Run a 5K" off my bucket list and would never run again.  That winter, I was on the elliptical everyday doing 8 to 10 miles.  Apparently I built up a ton of endurance doing this, because on our first warm day in March, I decided to go for a run just to see what would happen.  Turns out I busted out 2 miles like it was nothing.  Mind you, at the height of my training for the 5K, 2 miles practically killed me.  Somehow, running became easier for me.  My pace quickened and it became fun.  Now, I run when I can to decompress.  I love it because I think about everything when I'm running, but sometimes I think about absolutely nothing.  I run anywhere between 3 to 5 miles and the feeling afterward is heavenly...I see what people mean when they talk about a Runner's High.  I've gone from someone who HATED running to someone who bounds out of bed on Saturday morning, laces up her running shoes and busts out a long run.  I know, I don't understand it either. 

~Last but not least, since turning 30 I have become crafty.  This blows me away perhaps more than my other two evolutions of becoming a morning person and discovering that I love running.  I was always the kid who sucked at art in grade school (probably because it was Product Art and not Process Art.  Now that I'm a teacher, I see the enormous value in letting kids create whatever the heck they want, not forcing them to glue different pieces of construction paper together to make a penguin.)  I owe this craftiness to my mother-in-law.  She is a very gifted seamstress and always makes things.  She's even made wedding gowns for people, which I still find incredible.  Last year, she offered to teach me to sew.  I expected this to be an exercise in futility....something that would result in her frustration and my increasing desperation as I kept trying to do something that clearly my hands wouldn't allow.  Come to find out, she is a wonderful teacher.  I have to chalk it up to that, because the fact that I learned how to operate sewing machines and make quilts, blankets, throw pillows and heating pads can only be attributed to having a good teacher.  A confession:  I suck at cutting fabric.  I can't cut anything straight (that includes construction paper at work) and I don't see myself really improving in that area.  Also, my hand-sewing?  Horrific.  I need to take a lesson from Bonnie because she once sewed an entire quilt exclusively by hand.  I needed to italicize that part because it is truly remarkable, shocking and overwhelming to think about.  But regardless of my personal short-comings, I can still do it.  Pre-cut fabrics are my best friend.  When I was 15, or 18, or even 21 or 25, if you told me I'd be firing up a sewing machine and creating things, I honestly wouldn't have believed it. 

Sometimes I reflect on how much I've changed since I was younger, but especially how much I've changed just since turning 30.  I love it.  I'm a different person than I was then, that's the simplest way to put it.  It's a wonderful thing when you realize you're always changing.  I can't wait to see what I'm like when I'm 40! (let's rephrase that:  I CAN MOST CERTAINLY WAIT to see what I'm like when I'm 40...gag.  I'm sure that day will be here soon enough though!)



No comments:

Post a Comment