Saturday, December 1, 2012

Handmade Holidays: Wreaths

Earlier in the fall, I decided that my Christmas wreath needed to be replaced.  Actually, I threw it away last January as the decorations came down and the bone-chilling cold started to set in.  I was given the wreath as a Housewarming present back in 2003, and while it was a gorgeous wreath, the years of constantly being hung up, taken down, and stored took their toll.  Instead of being circular, the wreath was decidedly oval-shaped.

I started looking to Pinterest for some ideas.  What I really wanted to do was make one of those new ornament bulb wreaths that seem to be taking over people's boards.  However, after reading some tutorials, I discovered that the people who made them were having issues:  the wreaths would fall, shattering the ornaments, or the hot glue wouldn't be enough of a bonding agent to adhere them to the base and they'd start slipping away one by one.  Ack!  I'm not much of a crafter, and I need some fool-proof ideas and designs.

I came across a couple of posts about fabric-covered wreaths.  This sounded perfect for me!  One day in October, I went to the fabric store and selected two Christmas prints.  I picked 2 because I couldn't narrow the choice down to just one.  I also selected two small foam wreath bases for about $4 each.  I then went to the Holiday decorations section and selected some "pickings" to glue on top of the finished wreaths.

This project was perfect for me because it really didn't require any precision.  I cut the fabric into free-form strips with my sewing scissors.  Then, I wrapped each strip around the wreath and secured them into the back with my sewing pins.  The wreath was covered in about 10 minutes and then I hot-glued the decorations on top.

I have one wreath on our outside door and the other above our TV in the living room.  They're small, but cute.  And I was able to use the leftover fabric from the wreath on our door for another decoration: a stuffed fabric tree that my sister-in-law graciously made for me! (post on those to come soon!)







No comments:

Post a Comment